P. Marlin January 2017
1900 and 2016.
The White Star Line office after the Titanic sinking in 1912, now a Subway restaurant (lower Manhattan).
Peanut seller in 1900 in Little Italy.
McSorley's Old Ale House in New York City has served many famous patrons (Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt) over the years (starting 1854). Unfortunately, due to a temporary closure by the health department, I was not able to go in and see the unique Victorian era decor that still graces the walls. Interestingly, McSorley's did not allow women until 1970 and even though the owner was a woman (for a period of time), she never went in during operating hours.
Fifth avenue with the New York Public Library on the left in 1913 and 2016.
The James Watson house built in 1793 still stands in lower Manhattan on State Street.
A bomb explodes outside Federal Hall and JP Morgan bank in 1920 killing around 30 people, the perpetrators were never caught. The building to the left still has the holes in the concrete from the bomb.
260-268 Elizabeth Street tenement building a century apart.
Looking to the Empire State Building from 41st and 5th in 1933 and 2016.
Looking from Broad Street to Federal Hall in 1910 and 2016.
A funeral procession passes along Mott Street in 1905.
The famous Frances Tavern where George Washington said goodby to his troops after the Revolutionary War and where Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr met shortly before their duel to Hamilton's death. The first photo is from the 1960's - 70's. The second photo is November 2016 and the photo below is around (or before) 1900.
In 1651 New Amsterdam Governor, Peter Stuyvesant, purchased land for a bowery (farm) and in 1660 built a family chapel on this site. In 1795, Stuyvesant's great-grandson sold the property and a new chapel was built. Around 80 members of the Stuyvesant family, including Peter, are buried in a now sealed vault below the church. The church was nearly destroyed by fire and neglect for many years before being restored and preserved.
The second location of the legendary jazz club (performances by Thelonious Monk and others), The Five Spot, on 2 St. Marks Place.
Central Park in 1933 and 2013.